mr smith had four daughters and each daughter had a brother. How many children does Mr smith have? This is the complete riddle for Mr smith had 4 daughters fellows. Let’s see what’s the answer to this riddle right away!
First, read the two statements carefully. You may quickly come up to the conclusion of 5 children in the first instance. However, note that it says Mr smith had four daughters and not has four daughters. Likewise, it should be Mr smith had 4 daughters and each daughter had a brother. Does something click your senses?
Well, the word had changed the meaning of this riddle. When it states Mr smith had 4 daughters and had a brother, it means all of his children are dead and do not exist at all.
The answer is: no children
The answer to Mr smith had 4 daughters is simply no children. Yes, if it implied that he has four daughters then the answer ‘5’ would’ve been the perfect fit. However, considering the tense of the riddle is in ‘past tense’, the word had changed the entire meaning of the riddle’s statement. Now you know the answer to Mr smith had 4 daughters with a sensible explanation. There you go.
Common mistakes while solving the riddle
- Many people think if mr smith had 4 daughters and each daughter had a brother, the answer would be 8 because each daughter would have one brother each, that sort of does end up with the answer 8, sadly, that is not the answer to mr smith had 4 daughters.
- Often people mix up mr smith had four daughters and mr smith has 4 daughters and later they find out that the two are completely different riddles. The only difference a genius can spot is the tenses, ‘had’ and ‘has’. Very few can point it out though and this is why the majority of people solve the answer to mr smith had 4 daughters to be ‘5’ when it’s not.
- Another statement commonly mixed up with mr smith had four daughters is mr smith has four daughters. Each of his daughters has a brother. Now the answer to this statement is 5 because everyone’s alive and it’s sensible to think that each daughter having a brother means all of them together have one brother which makes up 5 as the answer to this riddle but not to the riddle for mr smith had four daughters.
Common possibilities for mr smith had 4 daughters
According to some people, the statement of the riddle itself seems confusing. Let’s take a look at the different possibilities assumed by different people on the internet about Mr smith had four daughters.
- mr smith could be dead or alive. This is a debatable possibility as people argue that if mr smith had daughters and sons, it is because he may be dead and that is why he had kids, so he may have passed away. The other possibility is what the riddle is supposed to mean in that mr smith had four daughters means he had kids so he may be alive but his kids wouldn’t be.
- The second possibility is an answer to the first one. The part that says mr smith had four daughters…how many children does he have means that he is alive because if it was did that would mean he’d be dead too.
- Some people say that if you read the first few lines of the riddle, ‘mr smith had four daughters’, it may give the idea that one or more of his daughters could be dead and the riddle would be about this idea, which it isn’t.
- This one’s a common mistake as well as a possibility: ‘each daughter had a brother’. This could mean that all daughters had four different brothers, or, each of them shared the same brother. A layperson can indeed fall for this trick instantly.
So far, these are the common possibilities which many people have come across. There may be more too so if you have had any, you can share them in the comments section as well. That was all about mr smith had four daughters. Hopefully, your confusion will have been cleared by now and you know the real answer to this tricky riddle.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Answer to Mr smith had four daughters (4 brothers)
The answer is 0. For more information, check out the article above. All of your queries should be cleared.
What is the meaning of each daughter had a brother?
All children belong to the same parents, hence, all daughters had only one brother.
Had 4 daughters and each daughter had a brother How many children does Mr Smith have?
Each daughter has one brother. Since they’re from the same father, they had one brother only.