How to wash a weighted blanket to make sure that it lasts longer? Weighted blankets have indeed made people’s life a ton times better by improving sleep quality, reducing stress levels, and that of course, providing you the warmth you need. Still, the question of how to wash a weighted blanket pertains to many weighted blanket owners. If you own one or a couple of them, you will be asked numerous times about how to wash a weighted blanket. As a weighted blankets owner, it is inevitable to question how to look after them or stake care of them.
Are you tempted to throw your weighted blanket right into the washing machine? JUST DON’T! Weighted blankets are composed of a different fabric than regular throws, and therefore you must be extra careful with them. There are specific instructions to follow to wash a weighted blanket. Moreover, weighted blankets often contain glass beads or plastic poly pellets. Let’s get to answering how to wash a weighted blanket.
How to wash a weighted blanket Step by Step Tutorial
In this guide we will discuss the following areas:
- How to wash a weighted blanket -Pretreatments
- How to wash a weighted blanket with glass beads
- How to wash a weighted blanket with hands
- How to wash a weighted blanket with poly pellets
- Before you began with reading this article on how to wash a weighted blanket, just get access to your weighted blankets to care tag firstly. The care tag along with your weighted blanket helps a lot while you take care of your weighted blanket. Failure to reading the instructions on the care tag may permanently damage your weighted blanket or even damage any cleaning equipment used in the process.
- Secondly, you must weigh your weighted blanket. A weighted blanket that weighs 12 pounds or more must be brought to a laundromat so that it could be washed in a machine that can handle heavy loads.
- Lastly, if your weighted blanket falls in the category that could be washed by hands or in the machine, you need a laundry detergent, a stain remover, and a dish soap.
Pretreatment: How to wash a weighted blanket
As the word pretreatment itself suggests that you must pretreat your weighted blanket. And what does pretreatment means? It means that you need to remove stains from your weighted blanket using a stain remover. Mix a few drops of dish soap and water would be enough if you are dealing with grease or oil-based stains. The best practice is to gently scrub the stains until the appearance of the stains improves. However, if you can no longer see any visible stains on your weighted blanket, you may proceed to on next step of how to wash a weighted blanket.
How to wash a weighted blanket with poly pellets
The hassle to decide whether to use warm or cold water ends with examining the kind of fabric your weighted blanket is made up of and its care tag.
Here are the methods for washing a cotton-based weighted blanket with poly pellets:
• Place your desired washing detergent in your machine’s detergent compartment.
• Insert the pretreated weighted blanket into the machine.
• Wash your weighted blanket on the gentle cycle.
• Immediately remove your weighted blanket after the washing cycle.
How to wash a weighted blanket with glass beads
There is nothing special that you need to do to wash a weighted blanket with beads. You just need to follow the steps given above and take a deep read of its care tag instructions. You are good to go!
How to wash a weighted blanket with hands?
If you end up owning a weighted blanket that isn’t viable with your washer, the most ideal approach to wash it by utilizing your hands. It’s the most customary and generally, time-tested approach to know how to wash a weighted blanket with hands. Follow the steps below to take advantage of handwashing your weighted blanket.
How to wash a weighted blanket with hands?
- Fill your bathtub or any other tub available at your disposal with cold or tepid water.
- Then, pour in your favorite detergent and try to mix it uniformly.
- Now is the time to put your pretreated weighted blanket into the combination of water and clothing cleanser.
- Begin rubbing or kneading your weighted blanket utilizing your hands.
- Following a few minutes of kneading, swap the water with new water.
- Drain out excess water.
- Finally, set your weighted blanket to drain any excess water out of your blanket.
How to dry a weighted blanket
After reading deep into how to wash a weighted blanket, the next step is to dry your weighted blanket.
To machine dry, use a setting other than low or medium, depending on the texture of your cover. To air-dry your weighted cover, avoid draping it with an old clothesline, as this may cause the dabs or poly-pellets within to become unevenly distributed throughout the blanket. If you must leave it out in the sun, make sure to shake it out every half hour or so to ensure the weight remains equally dispersed.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
how to wash a weighted blanket with beads?
If your weighted blanket weighs under 20 pounds, you can wash it at home on the gentle cycle with cold water and a gentle cleanser. Weighted blankets containing both glass beads and plastic poly pellets ought to be protected in the clothes washer, yet check the precautionary tag on your blanket.